A few oldie Hindi song videos that I enjoyed a few days back

1) A racy hit oldie Hindi film song starring Saira Banu from the film Padosan, 1968, 4 min 17 secs, Main Chali Main Chali, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFxM9KBNMA.

2) Sweet hit song from the 1971 Hindi film, Hare Rama Hare Krishna. The song stars evergreen Dev Anand and Mumtaz. 4 min. 37 secs, Kanchi Re Kanchi Re, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOXkYrP3D2g.

3) A tear-jerker but still very sweet oldie song that I have heard so many times over the years, most of which times it has moved me. From the 1971 Hindi film Hare Rama Hare Krishna, the clip has Dev Anand who is seeking to extricate his sister played by Zeenat Aman from the druggie-hippie scene she has got trapped in. Dev Anand sings a song which he and his sister used to sing in their childhood, and uses that to draw Zeenat Aman to him. 5 min. 20 secs, Phoolon Ka Taaron Ka, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y2aFLOeNPg.

4) The GREAT Mohammad Rafi sahab singing the Shirdi Sai Baba song in the blockbuster multi-starrer hit Hindi film of 1977, Amar Akbar Anthony. I was 15 in 1977, living in Bandra (East), Mumbai, and must have seen the film that year or the next year. I guess it was my first significant exposure to Shirdi Sai Baba - through a Hindi masala film and not a devotional movie or book! I did not develop faith in him then though. That took many years more and that took the path of first developing faith in Sathya Sai Baba in the early 1990s and through him developing faith in Shirdi Sai Baba! Note that Shirdi is quite close to Mumbai and is in the same state of Maharashtra.

Rishi Kapoor plays the role of Akbar the Muslim and Qawwali singer singing the Shirdi Sai Baba song. I think he too does a great job. To my mind, Mohammad Rafi sahab was the BEST singer suited for this song and he sings it with a lot of devotion. Mohammad Rafi sahab was one of the great Hindu-Muslim faith amity figures of my youth as he would sing Hindu as well as Muslim devotional songs. Rafi sahab was a devout Muslim and renowned for his humble and friendly behaviour. I have not heard of tantrums being thrown by Rafi sahab. He was different. And so I think he was the best guy to sing this great song praising Shirdi Sai Baba. I offer my reverential pranams to Rafi sahab for all the great emotional highs of various shades and types of joy, laughter, and yes sorrow too, that listening to his songs have given me over the years. And as I have became crazy about the Sai Babas, both Shirdi Sai Baba and Sathya Sai Baba, I think this is the song I now cherish the most of Mohd. Rafi sahab. May Allah shower His Grace on the soul of (Late) Rafi Sahab, and may Allah shower Grace on his family.

5 min. 37 secs, Shirdi Wale Sai Baba, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPwS1UOSSM4.

Comments

Archive

Show more