My comment on Facebook boss, Mark Zuckerberg post on "update on the Cambridge Analytica situation"

Facebook boss, Mark Zuckerberg put up a post which was an "update on the Cambridge Analytica situation" around an hour back (22nd Mar. 2018, around 1 AM Indian Standard Time), https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10104712037900071.

I put up the following comment (link: https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10104712037900071?comment_id=2047583518604895) on his post (with my name appearing as Ravi S. Iyer):

Thanks for this direct message to us Facebook users as some of us, including me, are a pretty worried lot, about what sort of data about us is available to whom. I have personally been targeted for vicious attacks with false allegations on Facebook by Facebook fake ID persons some of whom I believe are based in Melbourne, Australia. Complaining to Facebook with all details got me nowhere.

I hope such bad actors as those that targeted me do not have access to my private Facebook data including private messages. That would give them a way to harass me even beyond what they have done so far.

Cambridge University researcher Kogan's App getting access to Facebook data of tens of millions of friends of the around 300,000 Facebook users who installed Kogan's app, in 2013, is a terrifying thing to know.

And the allegation that that data became the vital database for Cambridge Analytica, a commercial company which most of the Facebook users whose data was captured by them had no idea about, and perhaps not a single such Facebook user authorized Cambridge Analytica to use that data, is even more terrifying!

I am reassured to some extent by this post of yours, Mark Zuckerberg, but I am still a pretty worried Facebook user. I hope Facebook under your leadership works hard to regain our trust that Facebook will protect our data from landing into unauthorized hands, especially bad actors' hands.

Regards

Ravi S. Iyer
Social media writer on spirituality, religion and miscellaneous topics
Retired international software consultant
Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh, India

Spiritual/Religious Websites/Blogs
* About Sri Sathya Sai Baba and more: ravisiyer.blogspot.com
* God & science conversation and a little more: iami1.wordpress.com/god-and-science-toc

Software Websites/Blogs
* Indian CS & IT Academic Reform Activism: eklavyasai.blogspot.com/p/table-of-contents.html
* Course material related to computer programming (software lab.) courses: raviiyerteaches.wordpress.com

Misc. Topics Blogs
* ravisiyermisc.blogspot.com/
* ravisiyer.wordpress.com/category/misc/

e-mail: ravi@raviiyer.org
Twitter: twitter.com/RaviSaiIyer
Google+: google.com/+RaviSIyerSai
Facebook: facebook.com/ravi.s.iyer.7

Service to Society is Service to God

Comments

Archive

Show more